Saturday, November 20, 2010

Fix It Friday #78

This was the most colorful image that I've edited from I Heart Faces, to date ... I absolutely adored this little guy's eyelashes, too!  Thank you, Susan Keller for allowing us to edit such a sweet image!  I remember these tie-dyed t-shirts from a few years ago, and believe it, or not, I still have one of them around here ... somewhere! I've been battling the flu for two weeks now, and this photo did much to brighten up my day ... I tell you, it's been a long two weeks!  I use PSE7, and I did my best at getting all of the steps I went through written down this time, but still, I know I need to work at being more thorough at it!  I may have an excuse, though ... if I missed something ... you have my permission to blame the cold medicine! Lol!

For the first edit, I duplicated the image, lightened it using a screen blending mode layer - opacity at 100%, intensified these amazing colors, then adjusted the brightness/contrast a bit more. 

On the second edit, I took the first edit, added a lens flair - 105mm prime which was set at 138%, and adjusted the brightness/contrast. 

On the third edit, I began with the first edit again, cooled down the colors, giving it a creamy yellow color fill layer, then flattened the image.  I then gave more reddish tones to his hair, a lens flair - same settings as above, and finally adding a textured layer, masking it from of his face. 

On the fourth and final edit that I did, I converted the first edit to black and white, duplicated it, added a black and white gradient layer, leaving it at 100% opacity, adjusted the brightness/contrast, sharpened the image, and finally added a slight vignette. 

I would love to know your thoughts on these, and if you might have a favorite! I'll be heading over to see what the other Fix-It-Friday fans did with theirs, and if you'd like to do the same, just click on the link above to IHF's page, or their logo at the bottom of this post.  Hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and a most blessed Thanksgiving week! :)



 . original image .



 . edit 1 .



 . edit 2 .



 . edit 3 .



. edit 4 .


7 comments:

  1. I really like the 3rd and 4th edits the best. The 3rd one has a dreaminess quality to it and the 4th one really brings out the lashes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking #2...but I'm very partial to B&W, so I'll always go that way. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the second edit...that's my fav! GREAT job on all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi :D Thanks for commenting on my fix-it this week . You asked what editing program I use. Predominantly I use Lightroom3 ~ it is wonderful and as my son is home-educated we managed to get it at a student price (he's a keen photographer too). I love it because it is SO easy to 'mass edit' pictures taken in similar light settings. As I don't yet have a DSLR (we shoot with a 'bridge' camera atm) this is a real boon, because you can only mass-edit in ACR(the bit of it available in PSE) with RAW imaages. LR3 gives me the functionality of ACR with JPG's ~ and SO much more! I also love that it is easy to learn the basics, but there are lots of 'hidden extras' that once you get the hang of them are great to use. That said, there is no layering in LR so for me I just use it for basic fixing (like 90% of my work). If I want to do anything fancy then it's over to PSE. I do use GIMP (which is like a FREE Photoshop) too, and love that as well, but it's a steeper learning curve and not quite so many tutorials out there! CS is way out of budget in this house ~ a DSLR and maybe a lovely lens would come first! Oh, and when I am away from my main PC I use Picnik Premium as my laptop can't handle big software anymore. I like that too, for simple edits and the kids use it for fun-stuff, It's well worth the annual sub, even if I don't use it all the time :D

    About your edits now ~ which are gorgeous! I love edit 2 the best I think. SO clever how the added flare disguises the burnt-out area in his T-shirt. It blows out the background a little maybe, but takes away that distraction, which I couldn't figure how to get rid off without I whole lot of time consuming cloning and the risk of his T-shirt then looking fake.
    I love the BW too and Stacy was right ~ it really brings out his lashes :D !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love edit 3 & 4! Everything about it is fabulous :] Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of the lens flare! So few pictures actually have the composition to pull it off but this one works. I like edit #2 the best. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really brought out the eyelashes too! Beautiful!
    You were asking about the lens I used on my chive flower post. I have been using my 18-270mm Tamron lens for almost all my pics lately. It performs so well that I barely think to use anything else.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything. - Aaron Siskind

Please do leave a comment to let me know you were here, and I'll stop in and say hi at your place, as well! I know how precious time is these days, and I really do appreciate your visit! xoxo